- Are open to campaigns representing socially responsible advertising and media communications.
- Seek to transform advertising by demonstrating the power of media campaigns to inspire, focus on future potentials and further both public and legitimate private interests.
The EthicMark® Awards were founded in 2004 by futurist Hazel Henderson and are supported by Ethical Markets Media (USA and Brazil), a Certified B Corporation. In 2008, management was taken over by the World Business Academy, and the awards grew to two categories: for profit and non-profit. The winners list has grown to represent global campaigns from Africa to Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and the US.
In 2015, the EthicMark® Awards proudly returned home to Ethical Markets in celebration of its 10th year.
What Makes the EthicMark® Unique
EthicMark® award-winning companies are examined by all-encompassing standards for
- the value of their message,
- the product or service being advertised
- and the merits and reputation of the company itself, bottom-to-top.
This ensures the integrity of the Awards and esteem winners can rightly broadcast.
- Model ethics in well-functioning markets in democratic societies;
- Publicize non-profit group’s messaging to simultaneously promote what is good for business, society and the planet;
- Highlight businesses paying attention to the triple bottom line—profits, people and planet— noting that such businesses prosper more than those narrowly focused only on profit.
Particularly favor ads and campaigns produced by companies:
- Listed in portfolios of socially responsible institutional investors (such as pension and mutual funds, endowments, foundations) aligned with the UN Principles of Responsible Investing;
- Included in sustainable and responsible investment (SRI) and other ethical indices that use environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria for asset valuation (such as Domini, FTSE4Good, Calvert).
The annual EthicMark® Awards are presented in partnership with ESPM, one of Brazil’s premier institutions of higher education in communication, marketing and business management. Other partners include GlobeScan, TBLI, Sustainable Brands, Tomorrow’s Company. The EthicMark® Awards have often been at the SRI annual conferences.